We’re really getting in to playing with chalk on beautiful spring and summer days. It’s a different medium to use and fun for a variety of ages (including moms and dads!). (And, Pinterest is full of awesome chalk activities right now.)
Put beautiful weather together with chalk fun and add in some fitness components, too?
You got it!
11 Outside Gross Motor Chalk Activities
Many of these activities integrate reading and math skills, too—another aspect I love. Check out these great activities:
- Chalk Color Match Game from Inspiration Laboratories
- Toddler Color Hop from Train Up a Child, Learn As We Go
- A Fun Color Maze Hop game from Little Hands, Big Work
- Outdoor Alphabet Track from I Can Teach My Child
- Letter Sounds and Sight Word Spray from Train Up a Child
- Chalk Twister with Sight Words from A Mom with a Lesson Plan
- Sight Word Hopscotch from Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
- Reading Hop from Meaningful Mama
- Disappearing Chalk Letters from Meaningful Mama (You can make this activity involve gross motor movements by having kids do exercises in between each letter or try to move their bodies into the shape of the letter they just drew.)
- “I Can Spell My Name” Hopscotch Game from In Lieu of Preschool
- Bean Bag Sidewalk Chalk Tic-Tac-Toe from Train Up a Child
Any of these activities can be made more active by asking kids to jump between words, do a quick exercise for every answer they get right (like 5 jumping jacks or squats), or run in place while they read.
We’ll be playing many of these over the next few weeks, and some variations of our own.
How about you? What chalk activities are you and your kids’ favorites? Share your ideas (and links to any blog posts) in the comments below.
This post is also linked up with The Homeschool Village’s Ultimate Homeschool Link-Up, Homeschool Creation’s Preschool and Kindergarten Corner, In Lieu of Preschool’s Tuesday Tots, UpsideDown Homeschooling’s Hearts for Home linkup, and the Weekly Kids Co-op at B-Inspired Mama.